Sunday 11 September 2011

Vocab in The Road!


Hey! So after I read Maria Luisa's post, commenting on my blog I decided I should follow her advice. However, I won't change the matching activity since I created it in order to learn vocabulary and reflect on The Road in a more relaxed environment. Just like Maria Luisa stated in her blog!
McCarthy doesn't include a very complex vocabulary in his novel, mainly, I believe, because this simpleness adds to the tone and melody portrayed by the book. These few words listed below are the ones I had the most trouble understanding.
Match each word with the correct definition. (DON'T USE A DICTIONARY!)


1.
Morels
a.
Keep under control; restrain.
2.
Eddied
b.
A tarpaulin sheet or cover.
3.
Uproot
c.
Pull or move something out of the ground.
4.
Jackknifed
d.
A circular movement of water, counter to a main current, causing a small whirlpool.
5.
Tarp
e.
A cigar with both ends open.
6.
Macadam
f. 
Bend into a V-shape in an uncontrolled skidding movement.
7.
Rein
g.
A widely distributed edible fungus that has a brown oval or pointed fruiting body with an irregular honeycombed surface bearing the spores.
8.
Cheroot
h.
Broken stone of even size used in successively compacted layers for surfacing roads and paths, and typically bound with tar or bitumen.


Answer key:
1. g
2. d
3. c
4. f
5. b
6. h
7. a
8. e

No comments:

Post a Comment